Nerve Reconstruction Surgery in Pune
Nerve reconstruction surgery is performed to restore nerve function that has been lost due to injury, disease, or other causes. The main objective of this medical technique is to re-establish the connection between the brain and the body. Dr. Amit Mulay is the best doctor for nerve reconstruction surgery in Pune.
What can be treated with a nerve reconstruction surgery?
Nerve reconstruction surgery is used for patients with these types of nerve issues:
- Nerve injuries: Nerve injuries are commonly seen in industrial, vehicular, and domestic accidents. If treated early, they can be treated with a successful prognosis.
- Compression neuropathy: Here, a nerve passing through a fascial tunnel gets entrapped in its tight fascial compartment, leading to pain and tingling sensations. Common examples include carpal tunnel syndrome, tarsal tunnel syndrome, and cubital tunnel syndrome.
- Brachial plexus injuries: These are injuries to the network of nerves in the shoulder region that supply to the entire upper extremity from shoulders to fingers. They can be treated adequately only if diagnosed early.
What are the types of nerve reconstruction surgery?
The type of nerve reconstruction surgery someone undergoes will depend on what area of their body was affected, the type of injury sustained, and their pain tolerance. The nerve reconstruction process will be carried out through one of multiple of the following methods:
- Nerve Repair: It is a surgery where a transected nerve is repaired with sutures or glue. It is only possible only if there is no gap between the detached nerve endings.
- Nerve Grafts: if there is a gap between the proximal and distal end of the nerve, a nerve grafted is harvested. usually from the back of a leg or the outer region of a hand, and used to connect the nerve endings.
- Nerve Transfer: When there is no proximal nerve stump available for repair, the surgeon takes an expandable donor nerve that is redundant or non-critical to reconstruct the damaged nerve.
Tendon Or Muscle Transfer: if the nerve damage is diagnosed at a late stage where reconstruction is not an option, the surgeon redirects a healthy functioning muscle or tendon to the intended nerve joint and reestablishes their functionality.
How is a nerve reconstruction surgery performed?
The step by step procedure of a nerve reconstruction surgery is as follows:
The patient is put under anaesthesia, and the skin around the exposed nerve in question is cut away.
The next step of the surgery is to identify and remove any diseased or damaged tissue, which can be done through a craniotomy. This surgical procedure involves cutting open the skull.
The exposed nerves are then cleaned and sewn together with sutures or staples. If connecting blood vessels is necessary, a surgical staple or titanium clip may be used instead of stitches.
Then the healthy nerve tissue is transplanted into the patient’s brain. A protective dressing is then applied to the wound, and a splint may be used for support.
The final step of a nerve reconstruction surgery is to remove the sutures and dressings.
Why choose Dr. Amit Mulay for nerve reconstruction surgery, Pune?
Dr. Amit Mulay’s hospital is a renowned nerve reconstruction clinic, Pune. He is highly skilled and has over a decade of experience in the field. His work has been featured in many medical journals, and he has been elected president of the Association for Reconstructive Microsurgery. The care and attention that Dr. Mulay shows his patients is unmatched, which makes him an excellent choice for nerve reconstruction surgery.