Flap Surgery in Pune
Flap surgery is one of the types of cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Flap surgery aims to translocate live tissues from body parts to repair the part that has lost skin, muscles, fat and supportive skeletal structure. The type of flap used in surgery depends on the site requiring it.
Types of Flap
The types of flap include:
- Local Flap: It is attached one-sided to the wound so that they develop blood vessels while intact in the skin
- Regional Flap: A flap from some donor site is retrieved and placed on the wound for blood vessels development.
- Microvascular Free Flap: It involves detaching and then reattaching skin from some other part. Microsurgery is involved in attaching the skin flap to another part.
- Musculocutaneous Flap: It is done to the region that requires bulk and increased blood supply. It is done in Mastectomy, a type of breast reconstructive surgery.
Bone/ Soft Tissue Flap: This surgery is done when the overlying skin and bone are translocated to other parts.
How To Prepare For Flap Surgery?
Reconstructive flap surgery will require different surgeries at different stages. The process starts with a diagnosis. The flap surgery doctors in Pune may ask for the following tests:
- Doppler test- Ultrasound of a particular site for reconstructive surgery.
- Blood tests
- CT scan or MRI
After thoroughly examining test reports, the surgeon tests to prepare for tissue flap surgery in Pune. The procedure is followed in the following steps:
- Anaesthesia is given to both the donor site and reconstruction surgery site
- Carefully the dissection is done to the donor site.
- On the other hand, the portion to be reconstructed is slit open and exposed.
- The translocated tissue, blood vessels, and flap are carefully repositioned in the recipient site.
- The site is closed with sutures and dressed so that the flap does not dislocate.
- The surgeon will dress the donor site also.
How To Care For Skin Flaps and Grafts?
- Rest as much as possible.
- Avoid strenuous activities to minimise flap dislocation risk.
- Dry-clean the wound.
- Take medicines properly as advised by a flap surgery doctor in Pune.
- If you doubt dislocation of the flap, immediately visit the doctor.
Dr. Amit Mulay is a renowned plastic surgeon who also specialises in performing intricate reconstruction surgeries. His vast experience and exposure to the medical world help him to devise perfect surgeries with minimum risk. Reconstruction surgeries not only help burnt, electrocuted, or trauma survivors but also helps oral and breast cancer patients.